The DaS Symposium at COFES 2012
April 12-15, 2012
The Design and Sustainability (DaS) Symposium is a leadership exploration of the future of design and sustainability software for sustainable products, infrastructure, and environments.
COFES is a unique gathering of leaders representing diverse industry sectors with strategic interest in software. The DaS Symposium exists within that community to focus on sustainability. It reaches across disciplines and industries as it explores solutions to the sustainability challenge.
The goal of the DaS Symposium is to bring sustainability to the forefront of the conversation among software developers and to look for opportunities and issues that may be best served by the industry as a whole, rather than by individual players within the industry. We hope to inspire, raise awareness, build relationships and seek sustainable synergies.
Founding members of The DaS Symposium include Autodesk, buildingSMARTalliance, CIFE, Cyon Research, Gensler, PTC, Siemens, SolidWorks, and Sustainable Minds.
The bulk of the DaS Symposium will take place on Thursday, April 12, from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM PDT, followed by a Roundtable discussion on Saturday as part of the general COFES program.
DaS Symposium 2012 will include presentations from and discussions led by:
- Adrian Gheorghe, Batten Chair of Systems Engineering, Old Dominion University
- Amy Rowell, Founder, Four Winds Research
- Brad Holtz, Chairman, The Center for Understanding Change
- Chris De Neef, Founder, Fast Track Consulting
- Chris Wood, Vice-President, Santa Fe Institute
- Deke Smith, Executive Director, Building Seismic Safety Council, NIBS
- Ken Hall, Director, Sustainable Design Systems, Gensler
- Lori Parrott, Manager, Policy and Decision Analytics, Sandia National Labs
- Michael Richardson, LCA & Sustainable Design Senior Project Manager, SGS North America
- Robert 'Doc' Hall, Chairman, The Compression Institute
- Serge Neuman, Bioclimatic Façade Initiatives Program Director, SOMFY
- Terry Swack, CEO & Founder, Sustainable Minds
| Thursday, April 12
| 8:30 AM
Presentations from ten leaders in the context of nine different topics of design and sustainability.
| 8:45 AM
|| Topic: Time Horizon
Topic: Data & LCA and other Metrics
|| Lunch Keynote: Adrian Gheorghe—Risk, Uncertainty, & Resilience
| 1:15 PM
|| Topic: Process
Topic: Business Uptake
| 2:45 PM
|| Close and join COFES Special Presentations starting at 3:00pm
| Saturday, April 15
| 1:45 PM
Sustainability Roundtable Discussion
Participants in the DaS Symposium will collaborate to summarize the key points and take away from the DaS Symposium for socializing with the Congress at large.